Depressed mood or a lack of interest in activities are symptoms of a mental health illness that can have a substantial impact on daily life. Biological, psychological, and social factors all play a role in emotional suffering. More and more evidence points to the possibility that these factors influence brain activity, including the activation of specific neuronal circuits. Major depression is characterized by a long-lasting sorrow or lack of interest, which leads to erratic changes in sleep patterns, eating habits, energy levels, focus, daily routines, and self-esteem.People who are depressed may also have suicidal thoughts.
Natural depression medication:
Herbs that have been in use since ancient times are still potent to treat depression in most people. The below are the three herbs that are highly effective.
Ashwagandha: Active components in Ashwagandha such as steroidal lactones, saponins, alkaloids, and withanolides help to regulate a person’s stress and depression. Ashwagandha is a herb that can be used in powder or liquid form to help improve a person’s general well-being.
Saffron: Saffron is high in antioxidant compounds and carotenoids such as crocin and crocetin, which help to uplift a person’s mood. It has been proven to increase the amounts of the mood-enhancing chemical serotonin in the brain.
Brahmi: Brahmi is an adaptogen, which simply means that it helps the body adjust to new or stressful situations by assisting the body in releasing endorphins. Taking it increases the amount of serotonin in the brain, which helps the mind remain calm and gives relief from anxiety and unease.
The most convenient way to consume natural depression medication to overcome depression is by taking them as gummies. Not only are the gummies effective, they are also delicious!
Other holistic ways to beat stress and depression are –
Exercise: One of the most effective ways to treat depression is to get on your feet and get going. Exercising releases happy hormones like serotonin. Foods like eggs, cheese, nuts, salmon, tofu, and pineapple also help in boosting serotonin production.
Mediate: Just meditating for 10 minutes a day can help you beat depression greatly. Sit in a quiet place and practice even breathing. With full attention to your breathing, your inner self gets rejuvenated and goes depression free.
Gorge on Vitamin B12 and Omega-3 fatty acids: Your body needs adequate levels of Vitamin B12 and Omega-3 fatty acids to combat depression. You can consume larger amounts of dairy products, meats, walnuts, sardines, salmon, and Brussel sprouts to keep your body replenished of Vitamin B12 and Omega-3 fatty acids.
Here are the top sleep well tips that have helped millions of people globally catch a restful sleep which in turn helps you overcome depression.
Things to be done before hitting the bed
- Avoid a heavy meal post sunset. It is wise to have your last meal at least 2 hours before your bedtime.
- Do not drink water at least an hour before hitting your bedtime. Also, ensure to empty your bladder before sleeping. This will ensure that you don’t get disturbed with frequent bathroom visits during the sleep.
- Go cold turkey on caffeine in any form post sunset.
- Enjoy a hot shower before retiring for the bed. Hot and warm showers relax the muscles of the body and soothe the soul, promising you a blissful sleep.
- Some people have the habit of consuming alcohol to catch up on sleep. While it does work in the initial stages, later, you will notice that drinking alcohol keeps you more awake in the night than putting you to sleep.
- Never sleep during the day. If you are really tired, take a nap for not more than 20 minutes. You can also ward off the mid-noon drowsiness by drinking something really cold or engaging in a lively conversation with your near and dear ones.
- Stop binge watching and using gadgets like mobile phones, laptops, and tablets at least one hour before you hit the bed. The blue light emitted from these gadgets from the devices have been proven to disturb your sleep cycle.
Things to be done while in the bedroom
- Maintain an ideal room temperature in your bedroom. Anything between 15.6 and 19.4 degrees Celsius creates the right, soothing environment for most people.
- Dim your lights in the bedroom. This helps in the production of melatonin, the hormone responsible for sleep. You can also take melatonin supplements an hour before you sleep to stabilize your melatonin levels.
- Use plush pillows and a mattress that can give you a restful sleep and protect you from stiff necks in the morning.
Graphic created by Mozzaz.
Depression is a serious mental disorder. However, the good news is that it can be treated with high self integrity, an active lifestyle, natural supplements, and a well-balanced diet. In case you know someone who is battling depression, stand by them and help them overcome it.